26 March 2013

#13 Don't Look Down! (up is far more interesting)


When I was younger, I used to look at the night sky and see nothing there.
It's just blackness and nothing, as substance-less as air.
And while that may have been true, it wasn't in the way I intended
See while the sky may not have friendly aliens which can be befriended

(at least as far as we know about)
There's still a lot of stuff to make you shout
"My God, how on Earth(?) does this stuff exist
And how can life on this planet even persist"

See there's big balls of flames
Many countless infinities of chemical reactions
And it was to my eternal shame
How long it took to garner my attraction

And now it has, I'm not letting a second go to waste
Because the night sky is so much more than a copy and paste
Each part of it is unique, a scientific miracle
Most of it real, and only part theoretical

And if you've not done so thus far
Just lay back and the ground, and look up at the stars
As the entirety and eternity of all of outer space
Can be reflected into your eyes, as you realise the wonders you now face.


Context: An Astronomer friend of mine, when asked for a random topic, gave me the night sky. She liked it, so I hope anyone reading this does as well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment